The StartUp Health Festival is almost here. A premier healthcare event held during the JP Morgan Healthcare Conference on January 8 and 9 in San Francisco, this invitation-only event will bring together 2,000 global healthcare influencers, investors, scientists, visionary entrepreneurs – double the amount of last year’s attendees – to discuss the greater future of digital health.
Looking Back to Look Ahead
As the stock market spikes while Bitcoin takes a nosedive, new innovations in fields like pharma and artificial intelligence evolve at lightning speed, and industry-shaking M&A activity (such as the recent CVS/Aetna merger) threatens traditional health systems, next week’s StartUp Health event will likely identify new opportunities for investment, innovation, and advancement for healthcare consumers.
Last year's conference, said Sam Glick, Partner in Oliver Wyman’s Health and Life Sciences practice and one of this year’s StartUp Health Festival moderators, was about embracing optimism amidst widespread industry insecurity. This year’s event will be an opportunity to assess how far the industry has come since then.
Here are a Few of This Year’s Top Event Highlights:
- Expect some inspiring, influential speeches. Keynote speakers include Joe Biden, former US Vice President, Sue Siegel, GE’s Chief Innovation Officer, and Bruce Greenstein, Chief Technology Officer of the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Expect some winning elevator pitches. CEOs, CFOs, and Co-Founders from numerous healthcare organizations and companies will each deliver a series of four-minute long presentations that highlight their “Health Moonshot Showcase”.
- Expect some winning elevator rides that lead to partnerships. A series of VIP-reserved deal-making booths and lounges, accessible via a private elevator, will be reserved for exclusive meetings and business conversations to be held.
- Expect awards to be won. A team of finalists will present their leading pitch presentations as part of a “HealthTech Innovation Challenge” and leadership panel.
- Expect pediatric care to be a focus. There will be a panel on how to bring quality healthcare to children receiving care delivery across low socioeconomic regions, featuring speakers such as John Brownstein, PhD, Boston Children Hospital’s Chief Innovation Officer, and Wendy Sue Swanson, MD, MBE, Seattle Children’s Hospital’s Executive Director of Digital Health.
- Expect to participate. There will be an interactive insights session led by a pair of StartUp Health Co-Founders, Unity Stoakes and Steven Krein.
- Expect to warm up to a wide variety of topics. A series of fireside chats over the course of two days, features a talk on medicine from Ameet Nathwani, MD, EVP, Sanofi’s Chief Medical Officer, expert insights on how to make healthcare more actionable from Jessica Mega, MD, MPH, Verily Life’s Chief Medical Officer, a discussion on the health transformer mindset from Sue Siegel, CEO of GE Ventures and GE’s Chief Innovation Officer, and key predictions on healthcare’s future from Clifton Leaf, Fortune’s Editor-in-Chief.
- Expect to learn cutting-edge expert insights on how the healthcare industry can lower medical costs. Sam Glick, Oliver Wyman Health & Life Sciences Partner, will moderate the “Cost to Zero Moonshot” session on how to decrease healthcare expenditures and annihilate the cost curve. This panel will feature Liz Dunne, PeaceHealth’s President and CEO, Andrey Ostrovsky, MD, who has served as Chief Medical Officer at the Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services, and Marty Makary, MD, MPH, Professor of Surgery at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Professor of Health Policy & Management at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and Chief of Johns Hopkins Center for Islet Transplantation Surgery.
- Expect to learn more about what’s next for Google. Last but not least, there will be a mainstage presentation from Google’s Vice President of Sales, Jim Lecinski, and Ryan Olohan, Google’s National Industry Director, Healthcare.
Follow the StartUp Health Festival from Wherever You Are
A team from Oliver Wyman, a StartUp Health Festival Partner, will be in San Francisco to cover this leading event in real time. Be sure to follow @OWHealthEditor and @OliverWyman on Twitter for live event updates and insights, and to learn more about tomorrow’s healthcare innovation and transformation. And, feel free to watch a live stream of the event on StartUp Health’s Facebook page.